Shaughnessy Parks And Community Areas

Oak Meadow Park

899 W 37th Avenue (at Oak Street)

Recreation Facilities

Off-Leash Areas for Dogs (x1)
Running Trails (x1)
Soccer Playing Fields (x1)
Field Hockey Playing Fields (x1)
Perimeter Walking Path (730m)
Ultimate Frisbee Fields (x2)

About the Park

The park was totally redeveloped in 2007 to contain a soccer field, walking and running areas, and ultimate Frisbee playing field. There is also a children’s playground, treed walking areas, and off-leash for park.

There was a public submission process in 2008 to choose the name from community input.

History

The area where the park currently exists was part of the land the Vancouver park board purchased and re designated from the Old Shaughnessy Golf Course in the 1960’s. The rest of this land became VanDusen Botanical Gardens.

Angus Park

3600 Angus Drive (at Alexandra Street)

About the Park

This park is a curved section of green space with stately trees on it. It is located in the heart of Shaughnessy. This park is one of the best areas around to take a quiet stroll, or sit on a bench and enjoy some of the majestic trees.

History

When the Shaughnessy subdivision was created by the the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) this park was a central section donated to the City. The park and the neighboring street were named after the CPR director Richard B. Angus. Mr. Angus was a Scottish emigrant to Canada.

Devonshire Park

1250 Devonshire Crescent (at Selkirk Street)

About the Park

A classic stone walkway leads to a nicely sized park with grassy lawn area, and beautiful trees. The park is a great feature of this section of neighborhood and local residents enjoy it for the quietness and natural feel. It was named after the neighboring street.

Kerrisdale Park

5670 E Boulevard (at W 39th Avenue)

Recreation Facilities

Baseball Playing Diamonds (x2)
Hockey Rinks (x2)
Soccer Playing Fields (x2)
Field Hockey Play Area (x1)
Running Tracks (x1)
Ultimate Frisbee Fields (x2)

About the Park

This park area due to its location close to Point Grey Secondary School is often used by the students. The park contains a sports field and running area, one of the sports fields is an artificial turf field.

History

This park used to be called Strathcona Gardens since 1931 which was the year the parks board decided to plow the turf to construct community vegetable growing areas. This was done because the country was in the depth of the recession and the food from the agriculture done here helped feed the unemployed.

In the 1940’s the Kerrisdale residents worked together with the City Of Vancouver to fundraise for a project to construct the ice area. The area was was renamed to honour one of Canada’s early hockey legends, Fred “Cyclone” Taylor, who also served as Park Commissioner from 1951-1956.

Shaughnessy Park

1300 The Crescent (at Hudson Street)

About the Park

This oval park is located amid of Shaughnessy’s curving roads and picturesque landscape. With its outstanding collection of trees and quiet location, this is a peaceful place to enjoy the morning paper or an evening stroll.

About the Park

The park was named for Sir Thomas Shaughnessy, later Lord Shaughnessy, the former president of the Canadian Pacific Railway who was responsible for the subdivision of the area now known as the Shaughnessy neighborhood.

VanDusen Botanical Gardens

5251 Oak Street (at W 37th Avenue)

About the Park

This vast garden park stretches over a magnificent 22 hectares. The VanDusen Botanical Garden Association (which is made up of 1,600 volunteers), and the City Of Vancouver have developed an amazing assortment of recreated ecosystems, and plant collections. The City and the Garden Association also run the Bloedel Conservatory in Queen Elizabeth Park.

The visitors center is a model for sustainable structures. It is shaped in an orchid style design, and is truly unique.

VanDusen Garden’s mission is “To inspire understanding of the vital importance of plants to all life through the excellence of our botanical collections, programs and practices.”

History

The site where the park now resides was originally owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway along with the rest of Shaughnessy. This portion of the land specifically was the Shaughnessy golf course until the 1970’s when it was converted. The site was originally going to become a housing development until the local residents and the Parks Board worked together to designate the 22 hectares for the botanical garden.

Several public government donations were made, and the largest public donation was by W.J. VanDusen ($1 million). The park was named after him for his contribution. The garden first opened its gates in 1975 and has been amazing residents ever since with its amazing collection of plants and secenery.

Above information sourced from http://vancouver.ca/, for educational purposes © 2013 City of Vancouver